Monday, January 4, 2016

2015: The tragic year that was (and what it taught me)


I know a lot of people posted about 2015 not being their year and encountering many challenges during that time, and I cannot help but agree. Before anything else, let me just say that I am not the type to blame circumstances on anything and being the positive person that I am, I always try to accept and let go and do all those sh*z about Positivity and Peace. I have always been grateful for every little blessing keeping in mind that many others are suffering from worse situations and that I am very lucky to be living as I do.

However, there was a series of unfortunate events last year that made me literally say "Good  Riddance" as the clock struck 12 on New Year's Eve. Together with a couple of painful deaths were a minor financial crisis and a health challenge (that I thankfully overcame). It was still a good year but it was darn painful to look back to and I am definitely welcoming this new one with open arms.

Clouded with my own pains, I was not able to notice the pains of my other friends and acquaintances  who have had misfortunes of their own. Thanks to Facebook Memories, I was able to see some of my own and others' share of heartbreaks and losses in 2015; a former OJT who slept at Dec 31, 2014 and never woke to welcome 2015, a former teacher who lost her battle to a deadly disease, the loss of a lot of friends' loved ones (including my boyfriend's mom), some long-term relationship breakups, and many more.

It was indeed a year of suffering, not to mention the natural calamities that always left a lot of families hurt and homeless. But as with all things, pain and suffering bring along with them lessons that will help us get wiser and stronger. And here are some things I learned last year:


1. Always make time for family and cherish every moment by sharing thoughts, playing, and spending some quality time. "No phones" as my boyfriend would always remind me. You never know until when you can take care of them and spend time with them so do it as often as you can.

2. If you want to try something and you can afford it, do it. Even if no one wants to go with you. I am such a baby when trying new things and I always want someone to do it with me and when no one wants to, I let it pass me by. And that may be the biggest mistake I always commit in my life. A few fun things on your own wouldn't hurt compared to a really empty and wasted year.

3. Surprise the people you love 'just because', and do it as often as you can. The little things make a big difference because you never know what people are going through, even those you think you know well. They might be going through a rough time without you know it and randomly treating them to little gifts, treats, or special messages can be the only ray of sunshine they will get in a day or a week.

4. Stay genuine. If I ask you how many crappy, fake, attention-seekers you know, you can probably come up with a few names. In this world (especially in the Social Media Universe) when many people are fighting over petty things, and faking sh*z up for attention, be your legit, unique self and do things, share things, because of genuine intention and passion. Not for petty likes and compliments.

5. Work hard but don't forget to give yourself a break. No matter how resilient you think you are, your soul will always need a breath of fresh air or an adventure. A fresh mind will always be more productive than a stressed out, overworked one. Our VL's and OT's at work don't get converted to cash and are only usable within the year they were earned. And looking at the unused Leaves I wasted while hustling at work, I couldn't help but wish I'd spent them even for just a coffee-and-books date with myself.

6. Your mood and happiness depend on you. This may be one of the cliches that I've proven to be true. Your state of mind can greatly affect your mood that in turn affects the people around you. Do you notice yourself sulking too much or maybe being mataray to a lot of people at work or school? You may need to do some Me Time and ponder on why you are being like this. Be the ray of positive vibes to others instead of the Grinch no one wants to be around. Whenever I feel lazy or in a bad mood to work, I lock myself in the bathroom or ask for permission to take a nap and ask myself, would I want to interact or work with myself if I was another person?


So there's my list, there's a actually a lot more that can be added by the above are my priority. This list is a personal reflection that I decided to share with the few people who discovered my online diary. It is to let you know that you weren't alone in your struggles and that sometimes, we just need someone who get how we feel. <3

Merci beaucoup! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment